Welcome Guest !
(Forum still under construction)

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome Guest !
(Forum still under construction)

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attention, members. Please visit the Announcements before posting anywhere. And yes, the forum is still under construction.

5 posters

Canonization of the Sonic Universe

MauEvig
    MauEvig
    Flying TOO high
    Flying TOO high

Dash Points : 18

Canonization of the Sonic Universe Empty Canonization of the Sonic Universe

Post by MauEvig Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:33 pm

Some people say that Sonic X is considered canon, but others disregard the archie comics and some of the other Sonic storylines. I was going to address this in the Silaze thread, but I think that poor thread has been derailled too many times. *pets the thread*
    So I decided to start a new one, what do you guys consider canon? Here's what I have to say:

If we're gonna count Sonic X, we might as well count Archie, SatAm, Sonic Underground and all the other Sonic universes out there. I don’t know about the rest of the forum, but I consider those alternate realities. Sure they’re canon in a sense, since they’re published and licensed by Sega, but they’re canon to their own universe and not canon to the games. Sonic X was based off the games, but it wasn’t necessarily the games either. Chris and Cosmo for example, are exclusive to Sonic X, but have nothing to do with the games; just like Princess Sally and the freedom fighters is canon to SatAm and Archie, Sonia/Manic to Sonic Underground, and Scratch and Grounder to Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and Porker Lewis, Johnny, Dr. Zachary and Ebony are canon in the Sonic the comic Fleetway Universe respectively.
    I'm going strictly by the games. Sure Sonic cares about Amy and he puts up with her because she's his friend. Nothing more.
    Now, this does get tricky because you could say the old Game Gear games had their own canonization since nothing in the Game Gear games and the Genesis games really added up. Of course, Sonic CD didn’t correspond with Sonic 1, 2, 3 and S&K either. I always kind of assumed that Sonic Adventure picked up after Sonic 3 & K and possibly Knuckles Chaotix, and Sonic CD might’ve happened prior to the events in Sonic 2 because Sonic 2 leads directly into Sonic 3, or Sonic CD could’ve happened after Sonic 3 & K story wise (I’m aware of it being developed along side Sonic 2)
    But then again it all depends on what you want to consider canon. I don’t necessarily consider Sonic Spinball canon but the SatAM fans probably would just because of the brief appearance in the games by Bunnie and Sally. (Bunnie I wouldn’t mind seeing in the games though because her robotic limbs could really pwn in a game)
    SonicChao4Life
    SonicChao4Life
    Master
    Master

Location : Unknown. I can't tell you, or it wouldn't be a secret.

Canonization of the Sonic Universe Empty Re: Canonization of the Sonic Universe

Post by SonicChao4Life Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:29 pm

I agree with you there.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:15 pm

I kind of apart from the just friend part
    EchidnaPower
    EchidnaPower
    Master
    Master

Dash Points : 27

Post by EchidnaPower Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:28 pm

The only thing that can truly be considered canon are the actual Sonic games. All other universes are extras that other companies decide to make.

But just because something may not be canon, doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed. Ask Chakra X who made the awesomeness of Nazo Unleashed. Nazo was an unused character from Sonic X, and he took Nazo in and made him into a well-known character, along with his creation: Shadic.

Or even us, working on the Dash Project. Canonization of the Sonic Universe Icon_wink
    SonicChao4Life
    SonicChao4Life
    Master
    Master

Location : Unknown. I can't tell you, or it wouldn't be a secret.

Post by SonicChao4Life Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:08 pm

Yeah, like that. Razz
    supersonicdx
    supersonicdx
    Master
    Master

Dash Points : 12

Post by supersonicdx Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:11 pm

EchidnaPower wrote:The only thing that can truly be considered canon are the actual Sonic games. All other universes are extras that other companies decide to make.

Oi, you took my thoughts right out of my head.
    Myst_thefox
    Myst_thefox
    The Guardian
    The Guardian

Dash Points : 8

Post by Myst_thefox Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:09 pm

i agree with you mau.
    MauEvig
    MauEvig
    Flying TOO high
    Flying TOO high

Post by MauEvig Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:30 pm

While it's difficult for me to consider anything Ian "Plothole" (writer for the Archie comics Sonic series) writes as canon, the fact remains that it's still licensed by Sega.
    So while I do consider the games to be the main canon, each separate story has it's own separate canon. Y'know what I mean?
    Like...for example...take the Spider man series. The comics have the main canon or original canon, but the spider man series itself has branched off into separate canons. Then you have the spider man cartoons and the spider man movies, which aren't canon to the comics, but are canon in their own right.
    So that said, while the games have the original story and original canon, the comics, tv series etc. may not be canon to the games, but they have their own individual separate canons.
    And there are a few problems with only saying the games are canon. One is that, does that mean all the games are canon, or only some games? Are only the games produced in Japan canon or do we count the ones created in America and Europe as well? And what about the game gear games that have forgotten characters like Nack the Weasel/Fang the Sniper? Then you have Mighty the Armadillo and Ray the Squirell, and characters like Honey the Cat and Tiara Boobowski who were never used. Yet, they're still sega Sonic characters so should they be considered canon?
    Then you have the separate fan followings for the separate canons. I myself like the SatAM series and while I don't consider it canon to the games and I don't think characters like princess Sally belong in the games, I do think they have their own individual canon as a series.
    So I guess it all depends on how you want to look at it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:45 pm